I had a self-care routine even before I knew this term existed. My mother ensured that every weekend I oiled my hair and my scalp was massaged. She used her homemade oil concoction which was infused with curry leaves and coconut oil.
A deep scalp massage and a 2-hour wait for the oils to seep into the roots, I would get to take a bath which would immediately make me extremely sleepy (comatose state, not kidding!). These days I see a lot of deep conditioners and scalp massagers, but nothing beats a good old ‘champi’ – or head massage!
Now that I live on my own, I also have a routine that I developed after a lot of trial and error. I do oil massage twice a week and prepare a homemade facial mask. I marinate until well done (haha) and take a long bath!
I like that I grew up with remedies that are homemade, the oil and the mask are both completely chemical free and beyond effective!
Here’s a quick guide to oil massage if you are new to it, along with a BONUS trick:
- Use organic coconut oil. The benefits of this natural oil is incomparable – reduces itching, frizziness, promotes hair growth among other things.
- Warm it up only until it melts. Warm oil is known to have a calming effect on the mind and on the body.
- Take a spoonful and directly apply it on the scalp.
- Use your fingertips (not nails) to massage the oil. Do this vigorously for about 10 mins.
- Take some more and apply it on the hair and on the roots. You’re done!
- Let it soak for about an hour, I will go up to 2 if needed! Wash it off with your favorite shampoo.
Now for the bonus trick: Soak a head towel in hot water. Squeeze all the water out and place it directly on the oiled hair. Leave it in till the towel turns to room temperature. This trick has helped me to soften my curls and reduce the frizz!
How often do you take time out for your self-care routine?
Mondays with Madhu
Guest blogger, Plant Life Meals